Meet Dr. David Porter
Since Dr. David Porter’s introduction to total health dentistry several years ago, he has devoted hundreds of hours every year in continuing education so he can offer his patients the latest total health treatments. He is committed to helping guide his patients on a journey to improved health. He is the first (and in some cases, the only) doctor in Wyoming to offer many treatments:
- First and only board-certified naturopathic physician
- First graduate of the American College of Integrative Medicine and Dentistry
- First and only to be certified by the International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology (IAOMT) in SMART protocol for removing amalgam fillings
- First myofunctional therapist
- First and only to do a residency for the Advanced Lightwire Functional Appliance (ALF)
- First and only to do a residency in Buteyko breathing technique
- First and only provider of orthotropics
- First and only TruDenta® provider
- First and only to offer Crozat method of orthodontics and to receive special training on it from the American Academy of Gnathologic Orthopedics
Dr. Porter has studied with doctors who are world renowned in their respective fields. These include Dr. David Hornbrook of the Hornbrook Center for Dentistry, Dr. John Nosti and Dr. Mike Smith from the Clinical Mastery Series, Dr. Mark Montgomery in TMJ and migraine therapy, Dr. Bill Hang in orthodontics and orthotropics, and Joy Moeller, RDH in the field of myofunctional therapy.
Dr. Porter has also obtained advanced education from the Academy of Laser Dentistry and training in implant dentistry from the WhiteCap Institute. He continues to involve himself greatly in the dental community, taking advanced training courses and lecturing to other doctors at national meetings and workshops.
A native of Newcastle, WY, he was a high school athlete, participating in football, baseball, and wrestling. He also played baseball in college, where he met his wife, Afton. After marriage, he worked in mining for three years in Nevada and Wyoming, saving to return to school in Lincoln, NE. He graduated in 2007 from the University of Nebraska Medical Center. Upon graduation, the school asked him to work for them until his Wyoming dental license was awarded.
He was thrilled to return to his home state after earning his DDS. He believes in Gillette and considers it a blessing that he is able to be a part of such a wonderful community. He has seen firsthand how people there give their time and energy to many worthy causes. Dr. Porter feels just as strongly about giving back to the community. He has been a part of multiple dental days where he’s given free dental services for people in the community. He also supports other great causes, including local youth programs in everything from intramural sports to junior and high school football, wrestling, and baseball.
Dr. Porter has been married to Afton for more than 20 years. They have six beautiful children. Dr. Porter is an integral part of their lives and stays involved in the many activities they participate in. He and Afton often attend their children’s sporting events. When Dr. Porter and his family do have spare time, they like traveling to the Black Hills and enjoying the many activities the Hills have to offer.